Dating online is a challenge for everyone! Now there is a customized dating app for the 70 million individuals who self-identify as being on the autistic spectrum.
My focus points of appreciation:
- Hiki is intended for both dating and developing platonic friendships and users can disclose their diagnosis or not. While they must be 18 or older, the app is LGBT-friendly and available for both iOS and Android. Hiki (pronounced “hee-KEY”) takes its name from the Hawaiian word for “able” and is the brainchild of 28-year-old developer Jamil Karriem
- The app fills an unmet need – helping those with autism find friendships and potential loving relationships: One in 59 children in the United States is born with autism, according to the Autism Spectrum Disorder Foundation—more than with HIV, diabetes and cancer combined. The online dating industry is expected to top $12 billion by 2020, but there’s yet to be an app for this sizable population.
- Individuals on autistic spectrum are part of the team that created and designed the app Hiki’s five-person advisory council includes two people with autism and three educators with more than 30 years’ experience working with ASDs.
- The app takes into account factors important to many autistic individuals: “Everything about the app was designed to be user-friendly to all individuals on the spectrum,” Karriem tells Newsweek. “The colors are known to not be triggering for sensory purposes, the layout is simplified and very intuitive, there are no flashing lights or sudden changes. And the on-boarding flow is structured in such a way to let you know what is coming up next, to manage expectations and not surprise anyone.”
- It can be difficult for individuals who identify as autistic to socialize and meet others so the app serves a need of this population (for those who seek this type of solution)
- Autistic individuals often have sensory challenges which preclude them from attending events that are full of people, bright lights and loud noises, such as clubs, bars, concerts and parties.
#Autism; #Datingapp; #Onlinedating;#Autismdating; #Hiki